Last updated on January 3rd, 2022
There was a time when aesthetics were often an afterthought in designing a home, which often just involved a discussion in the family following which the chunk of the entire work was assigned to a contractor, with focus only on functionality and durability of the design.
Today, aesthetics and trends occupy an important place in designing a home, and using the services of a professional interior designer has now become a vital step in the designing process. But usually, the biggest question plaguing homeowners before they take the plunge is – how much will it cost to hire an interior designer?
Here’s a quick read that’ll give you a fair idea and help you make an informed decision when you’re ready to zero in on a designer for your home.
The Amount Of Work Involved
Interior designing is a very personal thing. Some people use a designer just for the designing part, while others use them to even pick furniture and décor elements. For a seamless and hassle-free experience, it is advisable to have someone who’ll handhold you through the entire process, whether it’s buying things, installing wardrobes and cabinetry, painting or any other civil work.
The price you would pay, would, of course, depend on the extent of services you require.
How Are The Charges Calculated?
Here’s how designers usually arrive at their fee:
1. Design-only Cost: If it’s only the design that you’re after, designers can charge you Rs 20,000-50,000 for ideas on furniture placement, etc. If you need a 3D view, this cost can go up to Rs 75,000 – Rs.1.5 Lakhs. They can also charge you per room view with each view costing Rs.4,000 – 6,000.
2. A fixed fee: Your designer can charge you a fixed sum for the project with not much transparency on how they’ve arrived at the number. This fee might be a percentage of the overall cost or might have been calculated based on the number of square feet or a combination of the two.
3. A percentage of the overall cost: Your designer can even charge you a percentage of the overall cost of the project. This is inclusive of services and products. The usual design fee varies between 6-15%, sometimes even going as high as 20%.
4. Cost per square foot: The designer could charge you between Rs.10-100 per sqft. And this is for the design alone. But if you need the actual execution to be done as well, this could reach Rs 2,000– 3,000.
Here are some other costs (hidden or otherwise) you might encounter:
1. Premium on each product: Designers also charge a premium on every product that they procure for you. And this premium varies from one designer to the next.
2. Site-visit charges: Your designer might allow for 3-4 site visits in the fee that he charges you. Any visits above that would cost you around Rs 1,500 per visit.
3. Supervision cost: Your designer would charge you extra if you want him to supervise the execution and installation process.
4. Additional iteration charges: If you’re not happy with the end result and need changes to be made, your designer may charge you a fee. Most designers allow for a few iterations without a fee. Check with yours so that you are all on the same page.
May you find the best designer to build your dream home!