Last updated on August 19th, 2021
Nothing makes a dull and routine living room come alive in an instant, like patterns do! Just sprinkle a few carefully coordinated colors and patterns here and there and your living room gets transformed, just like that.
Let’s look at a few ideas and tips on how to blend beautiful patterns in your living space and up your home’s oomph-factor several notches.
1. Choosing a patterned wallpaper is an easy way to give new life to a dull space. You can keep the pattern on the wallpaper as the main theme in your pattern scheme. As you can see the bold patterned wallpapers here set the theme in these two living rooms. But the one thing you need to remember while choosing a patterned wallpaper is – not overdoing it or it’ll become tough on the eyes. Remember – you’re going to live there and see it day in and day out.
2. Choose an element with a big, bold pattern or color to start with and build upon it by adding smaller items that would go well with this main pattern or color. You can do this by choosing elements like a rug with a bright, bold pattern or a piece of furniture which is in stark contrast to the rest of the room. Remember that this piece will be the attention grabber and all the other elements that you add after this will help complement it and not overpower it.
3. The patterns that you choose in an area of your home need to complement each other. If you have chosen a bold piece, the other elements should not compete with it for attention.
4. Choosing a bright rug can immediately spruce up a living space. What you can do after adding this statement piece to your living room is, add new patterns like pillows in small doses, making sure they complement the bold rug that you’ve used.
5. It’s a good idea to soften the effect of a bold statement piece, like a rug with busy ikat work for instance, with cushions in solid or neutral colors.